Monday, May 23, 2011

High Trestle Trail


While I was traveling through Iowa a few weeks ago I listened to a news story on the radio about a new bike trail that was going to be opening up north of Des Moines. It has been under construction for the past eight years at a cost of over 14 million dollars. The highlight of the 25 mile trail was a ½ mile long bike bridge that crossed the Des Moines River.

As luck would have it, the following week I had a meeting in Boone Iowa, just a short distance away from the trailhead of the High Trestle Trail. The 150 mile drive from Omaha to the trailhead in Woodward only took 2 ½ hours. The trail from Woodward to Ankeny is completely paved and relatively flat. The trail replaced an old Union Pacific rail line.

The bridge is only a few miles from the Woodward trailhead and stands 13 stories above the river (See photo below).

The bike bridge is decorated with metal arches that give a bike rider a sense that they are traveling through a coal mining shaft. (See video below. CAUTION: This video may not be suitable for those with motion sensitivity).  



A strong rider can complete the 50 miles in less than 3 hours. The other communities along the way are Madrid, Slater, and Sheldahl. You certainly do not have to ride the complete trail, the great thing about an out and back route is that you can set your own distance.

I plan on returning soon, maybe during a full moon, I hear the bridge is lit up at night with blue LED
lights!

Enjoy the ride,

Mick McGuire
Alegent Health Lakeside Wellness Center
Body Training Systems Certified Group Ride Instructor

Check out the website @:
http://www.inhf.org/trails/high_trestle_trail/hightrestletrail.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment